"Doing the Most Good" on Thanksgiving Day and beyond!




Thanksgiving has always been a part of my most cherished memories. As a child I remember how special it was to share the Thanksgiving feast with immediate and often extended family. In my memories, I still have the smell, taste, visual and emotional sensations of those intimate family gatherings with those I loved. I cherish those times in my heart.

Please enjoy the following recipe that has brought many happy memories to my family. Maybe they can help you add to, continue or start a family tradition of your own.


Mom's Apple Cake

Recipe shared with love from Mrs. Major Kathleen Applin


2 cups of sugar

2 tsp. of baking powder

1 tsp. of salt

1tsp. of baking soda

3 tsp. of cinnamon

2 ½ cups of flour

1 cup oil

3 eggs

1 tsp. of vanilla

1 cup of walnuts

4 cups of peeled and sliced dried/fresh apples


Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.


Blog Author -- Major Thomas Applin, AnnMarie Taft

Recipe Author -- Major Kathleen Applin


The Salvation Army of Northern Virginia Stores Featured on WUSA
"What If Every Day Was Black Friday?





The Salvation Army of Northern Virginia Stores Featured on WUSA
"At The Salvation Army, Save Money Means Saving Lives"